Writer’s block is one of the most upsetting things that can happen to any writer. It is difficult to overcome, and it strikes without any sign or warning. Writer’s block is real, and you should know what to do to beat it when it occurs.
Since writer’s block can attack at any given time, you should always be ready with your antidote to get your creative thoughts back. One of the most common solutions is to find an activity or something that relaxes you, because stress is one of its main causes. You also need to get relief from the frustration that you’re feeling at the present moment. You don’t have to get carried away by the emotional impact of this condition because it can only bury you deeper into a virtual stupor if you allow it.
Here are some of the ways you need to do to beat writer’s block:
1. Try to do something for a change, like visiting a historical place, a museum, a park or simply go to the mall to window shop.
2. Grab your bike and kick your way to the countryside. A dose of fresh air and some inspiring scenery can help to stimulate your mind to return to creative thinking.
3. Take your dog for a walk down the street or around your neighborhood.
4. Arrange a meeting with a friend or relative who you have not seen for a long time. You have many things to talk about besides your writing problem. It can help to reset your mind to its normal state.
5. Perform some exercise to improve oxygenation and blood circulation. This will help to keep you mentally and physically alert.
6. Take a nap. You could just be mentally tired and you need to take a little rest to restore your writing ability.
7. Drink a cup of coffee.
This is a quick solution but it can help to stimulate your brain to work. Just be sure to focus only on your writing so that all the temporary energy given by the coffee can all be used to resolve your problem.
Writer’s block is temporary, but it can cause a lot of trouble and waste of productive time. It is also important for you to know that it is a common occurrence, and you are not actually sick when you get it. One of the best things you need to do when writer’s block strikes you is to stop writing and find other activities that can relax your mind. You need to allow it to stop working for a while to give it a chance to reorganize and reboot.
Filed Under: General Writing