Before Google introduced the panda and penguin updates, its algorithm was focused more on linking to determine web rankings. Even though other factors like meta-tags and meta keywords existed, these were not as effective in influencing search engines as links. The number of links you create to a particular page can determine your ranking in Google for your keyword. This makes content providers and website owners more focused on keywords than other elements of SEO.
But things have changed now. One of the most obvious reasons for the algorithm revolution is the emergence or proliferation of black hat techniques which aim to provide web pages with high search engine rankings even if they don’t provide real value to readers.
Keyword spamming and link farming are among the top unethical SEO techniques that modern search engines are on the lookout for. This is one of the reasons why Google made updates to its algorithm; it wants to ensure that websites that show spam-like footprints do not succeed in obtaining the rankings that they aim for. It also wants to see to it that websites that get tons of links in a short time don’t get ranked for those links. Establishing links takes time. It is impossible for sites to get tons of them in a short span of time.
So How Can You Generate Traffic by Linking?
Even if modern search engines are now designed to detect keyword and link spamming, article marketing is still one of the best methods of enhancing visibility on the web. It is not done by writing articles and submitting them to a thousand article directories, but by writing articles that people read.
These are the steps that you need to do in order to generate traffic with the new Google algorithm:
1. Write quality optimized articles that provide information or solutions to your targeted audience;
2. Publish your article on your website or blog;
3. Re-write your article, and provide it with a resource box that contains a link to your original article or website;
4. Submit your first re-written version to top article directories such as Ezine Articles, Go Articles, and Article Base;
5. Re-write your article to produce a second version and provide it with two links: one linking to the article you published on your website or blog and another that links to the article that you submitted in the article site;
6. Submit your second re-written version to a niche blog or social networking site. This can help to drive traffic to your website. You should focus on getting traffic from the social media platform. This can help to give you a decent search engine ranking.
These are some of the ways that you can do to generate traffic without spamming. They can help to make your web pages friendly with the search engines.