When you hit the “publish” button, it means that you have just executed the final step to make your content go live all over the World Wide Web.
It is not uncommon to discover a poorly constructed sentence or paragraph, or realize that an image you intend to add to your content is missing after it is published. It is imperative for all content providers to see to it that the content they publish is complete and free from errors, and that all preventable mistakes are avoided.
To make sure that your articles or blog posts pass your standards before you make it go live on the Internet, here are a few pointers to help you check content before hitting publish.
1. Make sure that your topic is clear to people just by reading your headline.
2. Make sure that your lead paragraph gives the reader what the story is all about and emphasize its importance to your reader to engage his interest.
3. Newsworthy articles are more appealing to online readers than narrative articles. Make your post as newsworthy as possible.
4. Make your post understandable even to people who are not quite knowledgeable about your subject.
5. See to it that your post is free of jargon or terms that make sense only to a particular group of individuals.
6. Make sure that your post is optimized for the search engines. You need to infuse it with keywords at the right places.
7. Encourage your readers to participate or make comments on your post by asking them a question at the end of your article.
8. Readers open your content with a question of “what’s in it for me?” Write with this in mind and your posts will attract attention.
9. Reinforce your story with an image or video. It can help to engage your reader.
10. Let your reader know what to do next after reading your post by adding a compelling call to action.
11. Links help to establish your credibility with humans and search engines. They also help to add value to your content.
12. Assign your posts to their proper categories. It will help to make your blog or site look more professional.
13. Make your sentences and paragraphs shorter for reading ease. Work on a single idea per paragraph and make it coherent with the succeeding ones.
14. Make your content scannable. Utilize sub-headlines, bullet points and white spaces to make your post easy on the eyes.